Re: make error

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: make error
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:22:48 -0500

Dear Ivan and Friends in Swarm:

I'm now acting as the membership recruiter for the SDG, and I'm inclined to start harrassing new people about joining SDG. Messages of the following sort are soon to start appearing in mailboxes all around the world.

Dear New User:

Please join the swarm-support list and join the SDG. Swarm is a publicly available, open source, free piece of software, but we still have to pay the bills, and you can do your part by sending us an individual membership subscription. The support you receive from us--development of the library itself, as well as our effort to provide documentation and example code--is directly tied to your demonstration of support for us.

My field of study in political science is voluntary citizen organizations, so I know all about the troubles organizations have getting people to pay for stuff that's free. In response, I just want to say that our good will/volunteer labor is not really a free commodity. You need to earn it. If you need help, you should give help too.

After you think that over, write back to swarm-support and tell us about your problem, but with more detailed information. Tell us:

1. What kind of OS you have?
2. Did you build hdf5 and blt by yourself?
3. When you built swarm, what was your configure line?
4. Did you build swarm with a patched version of gcc3, as is required?
5. After installing swarm, can you run heatbugs or any of the garden varieties of swarmapp?

srinivas reddy wrote:
I have installed swarm-2001-10-10 successfully. And I
have an application based on allometry and when I try
to compile it I got the following error. What could be
the problem?

Makefile of application has the following command
$ /bin/sh /usr/local/bin/libtool-swarm --mode link
/usr/local/bin/gcc -g -O2 -L/usr/local/lib -rpath
/usr/local/lib  -o plant main.o  Plant.o ModelSwarm.o
ObserverSwarm.o ContinuousWorld.o
ContinuousSubgridWorld.o PlantSubgrid.o PlantSubgridW
orld.o SortedList.o Species.o SpeciesData.o
StoreData.o StoreSpeciesData.o WrapperDouble.o
ArrayDouble2d.o TestObject.o Experiment.o ArrayId2d.o
PlantCreator.o
GridCreator.o Saver.o -lspace -lswarm -lobjc

The error reported by it is
libtool-swarm: link: cannot find the library
`/home/qkoziol/hdf5_install/lib/libhdf5.la'
make: *** [plant] Error 1

My libhdf5.la is in /usr/local/lib directory. Can you
tell me why it is looking in
/home/qkoziol/hdf5_install/lib.

I am not subscribed to the mailing list yet. I
appreciate if you can mail me directly.

Ivan