RE: Reporter bug in SimpleSwamBug3

From: Christopher J. Mackie
Subject: RE: Reporter bug in SimpleSwamBug3
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:24:41 -0400

Hi Stacy;  There are others on the list more competent than I am at this
stuff, but since I did what you're doing not too long ago, I'll take a stab
at it.

You can of course extend the 'ReporterBug' features to all bugs--but you
probably don't want to.  Having each bug report to the console dramatically
slows down your application.  The ReporterBug is an interim construct, used
by the tutorial to give you some runtime feedback during the stages before
you learn how to extract information from the model efficiently.

When you get to the 'ObserverBug' examples, you'll discover a better way
(the 'standard' Swarm way) to accomplish essentially the same thing, using
probes and graphs.  The ObserverBug code also contains and documents the
concepts necessary to make every bug a freelance journalist, if you find
that's still what you want to do.  So keep plugging away, and the answers
will come.

--Chris Mackie