Re: Is this the defects of Javaswarm? the swarm kernel neglect new added

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Is this the defects of Javaswarm? the swarm kernel neglect new added agents!
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:50:35 -0500

In Objective-C, I have no trouble with createActionForEach usages when the agent list changes. Have you tried any diagnostics to make sure your list of agents does actually change? I bet that is where the problem is. If you remove an agent from a list, and drop that agent, then if swarm tries to do something to that agent, it should find a nil and the whole sim should abort.

Now, I'm remembering a problem from Swarm-2.1 java and maybe it would account for your trouble. I discovered this in January, 2001, and I think the word "yell" is in my swarm-support email trial. IT has since been fixed, but here was the deal. If you had a createActionForEach and it was supposed to go through a list, it would quit as soon as it found a nil and it did not issue a warning message. I found several lists partially processed. But if you are using a current Swarm, that does not happen.

Hu, Jianjun wrote:
Thanks Paul.

I think one solution maybe swarm kernel exposes its iterator to the user,
then we can use this iterator to update the agent list.
and then the swarm kernel can track the changes of agents.

Jianjun Hu

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504