Re: Updates on Swarm requirements

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Updates on Swarm requirements
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:25:49 -0500

This is really a question for Sun and their "install page" http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/install.html. You want the linux instructions for the self extracting binary.

I don't know if the rpm from Sun is good or not, but I know the Sun jdk that redhat gives out does not do what we need because they rearranged some files.

Last time I did this, I went on their site and downloaded the "self extracting binary"

 j2sdk-1_4_0-linux-i386.bin

and when you run that, it opens up wherever you run it. I mean it creates a directory j2sdk1.4.0 or something like that and puts a bunch of stuff in it. I moved that dir to /usr/local.

I see now on the Sun website they have version 1.4.1, It might be a pretest version, I can't tell through their mumbo jumbo. I GUESS you could grab that, and if you installed that into /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1, say, then you could trick swarm into using it with

ln -sf /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.1 /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0

That works, in my experience with other java editions..

Now, which exact package would you use?

Start here:
http://java.sun.com/downloads.html

No matter what I do, it seems to want me to have 1.4.1, because even if I choose 1.4.0 for all platforms, it takes me to 1.4.1? page.

Right now I'm looking the download page for 1.4.1, since I don't have that yet:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/download.html

I want the one for SDK (second column) unnder linux where it says "self extracting file"

After I click that, it asks me some license stuff, then I can download this

j2sdk-1_4_1-linux-i586.bin

Apparently, with 1.4.1, there is no more i386. How interesting!

That download will take me about 30 minutes.

If you want to be absolutely save, go the 1.4.0 route.

Li An wrote:
Hi,
I went to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/install-linux.html and found that the rpm has an i586 (e.g., j2sdk-1_4_0_<version number>-linux-i586-rpm.bin) there--can I still download this software and use it to replace my old j2sdk-1_3_1_03-linux-i386-rpm?

For how to download: should I (in a Windows web browser) get to the above Sun website, save the above 1.4.0 into a hard drive, write it to a CD, and then go to linux to use RPM to install? or any other alternatives?

Thanks,

Li