Debian users come to the rescue? gcc details inside (was Re: New compile

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Debian users come to the rescue? gcc details inside (was Re: New compile problem :(
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:26:42 -0600

Hello, you Debian users. I'm a RedHat guy trying to coache a new user on a Debian system. WHy doesn't one of you build a package and make it easy for us.

I hope you are trying to build from a swarm source snapshot, such as:

ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/src/testing/swarm-2002-05-14.tar.gz

Or, for newer gcc (3.1 or later, up until 2002-09-09), you need to try this
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH8.0/swarm-2.1.141.20021019.tar.gz

Concerning this specific problem you mention, I have 2 ideas if that problem happens when you try to build from a tarball.

1. Toolchain!  The edition of libtool that Swarm assumes is 1.4.2.

2. I think I mentioned before to you that if you use a stock version of gcc-3.0.4, one that does not have the patches:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus_objc_gcc301.patch

or at least the smaller method function patch
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus_gcc301_MethodFunction.patch

Then when you take the swarm snapshot and try to build it, you have to apply the patch that Un-does Swarm's assumption that you are using a fixed up gcc. That patch, which you need to REVERSE, is a simple one here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus-interface.patch

I don't know for a fact this is the cause of your particular trouble, but I'm pretty sure you can't build swarm with stock gcc unless you do that..

On the other hand, if you DID use a patched gcc-3.0.4, then when you do the make command, you need to add a CPP flag to tell it to use the method functions. Here's the one I use:

make EXTRACPPFLAGS=-DMETHOD_FUNCTIONS EXTRALDFLAGS=-static-libgcc JAVAC=/usr/bin/jikes

(that's all on one line)

If you keep having trouble, please report and tell us exactly

1. What version of swarm are you trying to build
2. What version of libtool do you have.
3. Make sure you have emacs and gperf installed

Levente -Levi- Littvay wrote:
Hello

It's gcc 3.04 on a gnu/debian sarge (3.1/testing) linux.

Can anyone guess what's up?  thx.

gcc -g -O2 -c /install/swarm-cvs/swarm/avcall/structcpy.c -o structcpy.o

/dev/null 2>&1

mv -f .libs/structcpy.lo structcpy.lo
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc -o libavcall.la avcall.lo structcpy.lo
rm -fr .libs/libavcall.la .libs/libavcall.* .libs/libavcall.*
ar cru .libs/libavcall.al avcall.lo structcpy.lo
ranlib .libs/libavcall.al
creating libavcall.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libavcall.la && ln -s ../libavcall.la libavcall.la)
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/install/swarm-cvs/swarm/avcall'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/install/swarm-cvs/swarm/src'
TOP_BUILDDIR='/install/swarm-cvs/swarm'
BUILDDIR='/home/install/swarm-cvs/swarm/src' SWARMSRCDIR='..'
/usr/bin/emacs -batch -l '/home/install/swarm-cvs/swarm/src/getters.elc'
-f generate-SwarmEnvironment-getters
Symbol's value as variable is void: :uniquify-method-lists
make[2]: *** [SwarmEnvironment_getters.m] Error 255
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/install/swarm-cvs/swarm/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/install/swarm-cvs/swarm'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

--

Levente Littvay
University of Nebraska-Lincoln