Re: emacs and clean source

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: emacs and clean source
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:35:56 -0600

Levente -Levi- Littvay wrote:
Double response!

The best approach would be to replace the tree with the virgin CVS every
time I just don't know what flags I need to put to do that.  (help
didn't help much either)

now I just use: cvs update -d

The best thing, in my opinion, is NOT to use CVS, but rather build from a snapshot.

Then, after you get the source code opened up, DO NOT run the configure and make inside the source tree itself, but rather do it in a separate build directory that you can delete and start fresh. As you observe, "make distclean" does not always get the job done.

This is detailed in teh SwarmFaq and I don't want to repeat myself, but suppose you untar swarm into swarm-2.2, then

# cd swarm-2.2
# mkdir build
# cd build
# ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/swarm  --with-defaultdir=/usr
--prefix=/usr --with-jdkdir=/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0 --enable-subdirs --with-hdf5dir=/usr # make EXTRACPPFLAGS=-DMETHOD_FUNCTIONS EXTRALDFLAGS=-static-libgcc JAVAC=/usr/bin/jikes
# make install

This will dump swarm into /usr/local/swarm and you will need to worry about shared library paths after that, but it keeps your file system clean.

You should not need all the tclinc stuff you had in your configure statement, it will find it if you have --with-defaultdir=/usr

pj

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504