SDG 2002 Annual Report

From: gepr
Subject: SDG 2002 Annual Report
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 18:46:35 -0800

          2002 Annual Report for the Swarm Development Group

   I. SDG transitions in funding and structure.

      The funding for the SDG now comes solely from community
      contributions.  This revenue stream is not adequate to employ
      any full-time staff; so, we are now a completely volunteer
      organization.  The money donated by our members and generous
      contributors is used to fund our annual user's group meeting and
      will soon be used to support the new efforts mentioned below.

      Along with this funding change, several other changes have taken
      place in the structure of the SDG:

      1) Marcus Daniels resigned his full-time position as the sole
         driver behind Swarm development and has moved on to greener
         pastures.  We thank him for his frequent and heroic efforts.
         He's still on the board and still regularly contributes to
         the project.

      2) Chris Langton has resigned from the board of directors in
         order to devote more time to his new projects.  We thank him
         for all his efforts over the years and owe him a great deal
         for having the energy and the will power to get an effort
         like this off the ground.

      3) We have 2 new board members: Drs. Jim Anderson, of the
         Univ. of Washington, and Paul Box, of Utah State Univ.  Both
         Paul and Jim have supported and used Swarm for a number of
         years and brings alot of enthusiasm and experience to our
         board.

      4) Several orphaned tasks were taken up by several of the board
         members:

         o Paul Johnson is heading up membership issues in addition to
           his continued maintenance of the FAQ, participation in
           development, and support on the mailing lists,

         o Steve Railsback is heading up the hunt for further funding,

         o Jim Anderson is providing us resources to host the Swarm
           website and email lists,

         o Alex Lancaster is maintaining the website, mailing lists,
           and helping to manage the development via Savannah,

         o Roger Burkhart is heading up the lion's share of community
           outreach,

         o Marcus Daniels is helping to manage development at Savannah
           as well as kicking in code changes now and then,

         o Randy Burge is our registered agent in New Mexico,

      4) In addition to board members taking on these tasks, several
         others are contributing in essential ways:

         o Christine Muongchanh (in Jim's group at UW) is helping with
           book keeping and finances,

         o Bill Northcott, Alex Perrone and several others are
           spending a considerable amount of time porting Swarm to Mac
           OS X,

         o Greg Madey has stepped up to host SwarmFest'03 at Notre
           Dame!.

         I apologize if if I've left anyone out.

  II. Plans for further funding.

      As mentioned above, we are looking for further financial support
      from institutions and grants.  We now have a Statement of Work
      that we are using to tell potential funding agencies what we
      intend to accomplish.  The highlights of that SOW are:

      1) A bit of background on Swarm and the SDG

      2) The mission of the SDG is:

         o Develop and promote standardized ABS concepts and
           frameworks.

         o Develop and support ABS software.

         o Provide forums for the global community of ABS modelers to
           interact.

         o Provide training and expertise in the use of ABS to develop
           theoretical understanding of complex systems.

         o Provide training and expertise in ABS software.

         o Promote and support software frameworks for specific
           scientific fields.

      3) Primary goals and objectives in support of our mission:

         o Promote standardized modeling concepts and frameworks for
           ABS. We will produce peer-reviewed publications, conference
           presentations, and training materials addressing how common
           terminology and modeling concepts can make complexity
           research easier to conduct and communicate.

         o Complete and distribute version 2.2 of the Swarm software.

         o Continue providing user support for Swarm.

         o Begin development of next generation of ABS software.

         o Integrate with other ABS software projects.

         o Continue providing such ABS forums as our annual
           conferences, email lists, web site, and bibliographic data
           base.

         o Develop instructional materials on the use of ABS in
           research and applied science.

         o Develop instructional materials and documentation for ABS
           software.

           1) Develop guidance on what software tools are useful for
           various kinds of projectsSwarm is not always the right
           tool.

           2) Develop a general introduction to Swarm that makes it
           easy to get started.

           3) Improve Swarms reference manual by providing more detail
           and examples.

           4) Create a series of well-documented example codes. In
           addition to making these materials freely available, we
           will prepare them for use in low-cost training classes.

         o Support user communities, specialized software, and
           modeling approaches for specific scientific fields.

 III. We have 35 members

      Our official membership count is 35.  These people are the
      people we have to thank for the continued presence and
      development of Swarm.  Please consider joining, officially, so
      that we can get this ball rolling by itself.

      At present, our membership dues schedule is a bit confused.
      Technically, we are a charitable foundation.  So, any money that
      comes through the door is considered a donation.  That means
      that it doesn't matter whether someone donates $5 or $500.  But,
      we are trying to incentivize joining as an official member.  In
      order to do that, we need to demonstrate unambiguous benefit to
      becoming a member.  Rather than do this by marketing buzz, we
      intend to do this through real contributions to free software
      and the successful study of complex systems via Agent-Based
      Modeling.  It is difficult to make this effort concrete.  This
      is one of many issues we are working to resolve.

      It is possible that, in the future, we will attempt to provide
      services for our members that non-members do not have access to,
      over and above free proceedings and discounts at the
      conferences.  But, there could be legal consequences to doing
      that, like forcing us to split our book keeping into two funds,
      non-taxable and taxable.  This type of thing adds more overhead
      in terms of volunteer time and professional fees to lawyers
      and/or accountants.

      For the present, however, we are simply offering the opportunity
      to contribute to ABM free software and a spot on our member
      pages:

      http://www.ku.edu/~pauljohn/sdg/member_pages/

      Also, because we are all-volunteer, we grant membership to those
      who make "in-kind" contributions, as well as financial
      contributions.  And in many ways, these contributions are far
      more important than monetary ones.  If you would like to
      contribute time and effort, simply go to the Savannah site (see
      below) and sign up for some work.  Contributions are not limited
      to programming, either.  We need work done on documentation,
      advocacy, budgeting, project management, release management,
      etc.

  IV. SwarmFest '03 will be when and where

      SwarmFest is at the University of Notre Dame this year.  It is
      sponsored by the Department of Computer Science & Engineering.
      All the info will be available from the SwarmFest '03 website:

      http://www.nd.edu/~swarm03/

      Thanks to Greg Madey for making these arrangements.

   V. Savannah is proceeding nicely

      All project management activities are now handled through
      Savannah: <http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/swarm>.  Although
      it has been tough to transition from a funded organization to an
      all volunteer organization, we expect to see a rise in momentum
      and activity as time goes by.

      The primary project is the MacOS X port.  We have this status
      report from Bill.

Swarm MacOS X port status 27 Dec 2002

If someone could find some time, it should now be possible to do an
X-Windows build of Swarm Libraries on MacOS X.  Apple have done a lot
of work to make the latest (10.2.3) versions of MacOS X much more
compatable with standard UNIX software.  The system compiler is now
gcc3.1 and gcc3.3 can be obtained and built from Apple's OpenSource
cvs without difficulty.  Many more GNU utilities and man pages are in
the standard build.

All prerequisite packages are now available as binaries or can easily
be compiled.  Xfree86 4.2 is available as a binary package and can be
used with a number of window managers of which the best would seem to
be OroborosX.  Tkl/Tk 8.4.1 and HDF 1.5.42 will build from source
without modification as MacOS X dylibs.  BLT 2.4z will build and run
with minor modifications to the autoconf files.  Aqua (native display
server) versions of Tcl/Tk are now fairly solid, but BLT makes many
calls to X-windows APIs which will make a full Aqua version difficult.

Current Swarm CVS code can be configured on MacOS X with small patches
to autoconf/automake files.  These should soon be updated to the CVS.
Currently my attempts to compile this code fail in avcall.  However
Alex Perrone reports that he has succeeded in making a static build
against older versions of Tcl/Tk/BLT and that this build will run the
simplest non-gui Swarm demos.

Once this initial X-windows build is usable, there remain some
significant issues to addresss.  MacOS X should be the perfect Swarm
platform.  It is a direct descendant of the Next systems on which much
of the original Swarm work was done, and like Next it is an
Objective-C based system.  There is an excellent free IDE, a very good
Java implementation and the system compiler is gcc3.1.  Unfortunately
the fact it is Objective-C based is the bigest problem.  Swarm uses a
modified version of the GNU Objective-C runtime, while Apple has a
quite different runtime using a different C API.  This means that
there is no simple way for Swarm code to call Apple APIs or vice
versa.  There seems to be some promise in an approach using Apple's
NSConnection and NSProxy classes.  This might be made easier if Swarm
was merged with the current GNUstep Foundation code which is once more
under active development.  This would seem to be an interesting
project for a keen programmer.  If this problem could be solved then
Apple's Cocoa APIs could easily be used to build masses of extra
functionality into Swarm based applications.

Bill Northcott

  VI. Website is moved (thanks to CBR and Alex)

      Our website is now hosted entirely by the Columbia Basin
      Research (CBR) group at the University of Washington.  Also,
      some of our mailing lists have been moved over, though
      Swarm-[Support, Modelling, and GIS] are still at the SFI.
      Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen including but not
      limited to Jim Anderson, George Kremlicka, Susannah Iltis, Alex
      Lancaster and Marcus Daniels.

 VII. publications bibliography (new?)

      Thanks to Paul Johnson, we have an online bibliographic database
      at:

      http://raven.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/sdg/biblio/

      If you know of any papers that reference Swarm, please enter
      them into this database.

      Here are some 2002 publications that we've found:

Johnson, Paul E. 2002. Agent-based modeling: What I learned from the
Artificial Stock Market. Social Science Computer Review. 20: 174-186.

Bagni, R.; Berchi R.; and Cariello, P. 2002. A comparison of
simulation models applied to epidemics. Journal of Artificial
Societies and Social Simulation. 5: .  URL:
http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/5/3/5.html.

Marshall, James A R. 2002. An Investigation into Kin Selection and
Reciprocal Cooperation in a Viscous Population. De Montfort
University, The Gateway, Leicester LE1 9BH, UK.  URL:
http://www.mk.dmu.ac.uk/~jmarshall/Marshall2002.ps.gz.

Railsback, Steven F.; Harvey, Bret C. 2002. Analysis of habitat
selection rules using an individual-based model. Ecology. 83:
1817-1830.

Railsback, Steven F.; Harvey, Bret C.; Lamberson, Roland H.; Lee,
Derek E.; Claasen, Nathan J.; Yoshihara, Shuzo. 2002. Population-level
analysis and validation of an individual-based cutthroat trout
model. Natural Resource Modeling. 15: 83-110.

Brichoux, David; Johnson, Paul E. 2002. The Power of Commitment in
Cooperative Social Action. JASSS vol. 5,
no. 3. <http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/5/3/1.html>.

Bissey, Marie-Edith; Ortona, Guido. 2002. The Integration of Defectors
in a Cooperative Setting. JASSS vol. 5, no. 2
<http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/5/2/2.html>

Squazzoni, Flaminio; Boero, Riccardo. 2002.  Economic Performance,
Inter-Firm Relations and Local Institutional Engineering in a
Computational Prototype of Industrial Districts. JASSS vol. 5, no. 2
<http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/5/1/1.html>

VIII. financial statements

6:44 AM Swarm Development Group, Inc.
01/03/03 Balance Sheet
Accrual BasisAs of December 31, 2002

                                                      Dec 31, 02

ASSETS
   Current Assets
      Checking/Savings
        Checking, Wells Fargo                                  50.00
        First State Bank                                    1,427.98
        Savings, Wells Fargo                                4,449.04
        Wells Fargo, Seattle                                  400.00
      Total Checking/Savings                                6,327.02

      Accounts Receivable
        Accounts Receivable                                 2,236.00
      Total Accounts Receivable                             2,236.00

      Other Current Assets
        Inventory Asset                                       -40.00
      Total Other Current Assets                              -40.00

   Total Current Assets                                     8,523.02

   Fixed Assets
      Permanent Equipment                                     799.04
   Total Fixed Assets                                         799.04

TOTAL ASSETS                                                9,322.06

LIABILITIES & EQUITY
   Liabilities
      Current Liabilities
        Other Current Liabilities
           Company Owes Employees
              Glen Ropella                                 12.72
              Randy Burge                                -468.45
           Total Company Owes Employees                      -455.73

           Payroll Liabilities                             -1,112.36
        Total Other Current Liabilities                    -1,568.09

      Total Current Liabilities                            -1,568.09

   Total Liabilities                                       -1,568.09

   Equity
      Opening Bal Equity                                      950.11
      Retained Earnings                                     6,643.70
      Net Income                                            3,296.34
   Total Equity                                            10,890.15

TOTAL LIABILITIES & EQUITY                                  9,322.06

Page 1

6:55 AM Swarm Development Group, Inc.
01/03/03 Net Income Detail
Accrual BasisAs of December 31, 2002

             Type             Date        Original A...       Balance

   Ordinary Income/Expense
          Income
             Contributions Income
      General Journal     8/5/2002               800.00            800.00
             Total Contributions Income                            800.00

             Membership Dues
      Invoice             5/17/2002              400.00            400.00
      Invoice             5/17/2002               50.00            450.00
      Invoice             7/16/2002              400.00            850.00
      Invoice             8/5/2002               400.00          1,250.00
      Invoice             8/5/2002             1,200.00          2,450.00
      Invoice             8/5/2002                50.00          2,500.00
      Invoice             12/12/2002             400.00          2,900.00
             Total Membership Dues                               2,900.00

             Miscellaneous Income
      General Journal     8/14/2002              100.00            100.00
      Invoice             10/16/2002           1,200.00          1,300.00
             Total Miscellaneous Income                          1,300.00

          Total Income                                           5,000.00

       Gross Profit                                              5,000.00

          Expense
             Consumable Equipment
                Consumable Software
      General Journal     4/15/2002              299.00            299.00
                Total Consumable Software                          299.00

             Total Consumable Equipment                            299.00

             Office Supplies
      General Journal     8/5/2002               249.00            249.00
             Total Office Supplies                                 249.00

             Postage and Delivery
      General Journal     1/2/2002                10.50             10.50
      General Journal     4/15/2002               21.98             32.48
      General Journal     5/13/2002               78.76            111.24
      General Journal     8/5/2002                 0.60            111.84
      General Journal     10/18/2002              -3.70            108.14
      General Journal     10/18/2002               3.70            111.84
      General Journal     10/18/2002               3.70            115.54
             Total Postage and Delivery                            115.54

             Program Expense
                Internet Service
      Check               1/7/2002               231.73            231.73
      Check               3/12/2002              226.00            457.73
      Check               4/6/2002               114.00            571.73
                Total Internet Service                             571.73

             Total Program Expense                                 571.73

             Telephone
      Check               3/12/2002              470.62            470.62
             Total Telephone                                       470.62

          Total Expense                                          1,705.89

   Net Ordinary Income                                           3,294.11

   Other Income/Expense
       Other Income
          Interest Income
      Deposit             8/31/2002                0.42              0.42
      Deposit             9/30/2002                0.53              0.95
      Deposit             10/31/2002               0.55              1.50
      Deposit             11/30/2002               0.73              2.23
          Total Interest Income                                      2.23

       Total Other Income                                            2.23

   Net Other Income                                                  2.23

Net Income                                                       3,296.34

Page 1

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 831.335.4950                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr