Re: Swarm help

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: Swarm help
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 14:01:43 -0600

Go here

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH8.0/

read directions.

you need to install these 2, and whatever prerequisitees they need.
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH8.0/swarm-jdk-2.1.141.20021019-2RH8.0.i386.rpm
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH8.0/swarm-2.1.141.20021019-2RH8.0.i386.rpm

If it asks for any rpms when you install, then get them. In particular, get jikes and blt from RH7.3's distribution. The rpm install process may ask for miscellaneous packages you are lacking. For sure you need emacs, glibc-devel, gcc, gcc-objc, libgcc, and other things it might ask for.

The jdk copy I have is just the one I used, if you want to use my swarm rpm, install that. You can gamble on whatever sun offers now, they seem to change and relabel every week. As I said in the readme on that page, it pisses me off, this whole business with the way Sun packages their stuff.

If you need more help, join the Swarm Development Group (www.swarm.org) and ask in the swarm-support email list.

Kanagaraj Krishna wrote:
Hi,
   Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry for requesting the same help once again
but I'm very desperate for time. The problem is that I need to setup
Swarm(Java)to run in Linux(Red Hat 8.0). As I said I'm new to Linux and Swarm.
I have done programming in pure Java but in windows environment only (you
should understand my situation :-) ). I have chosen to use HDF5 standard for
storing my datas and then the statistical software R to process the data.

The FAQ is quite hard to follow and confusing for my standard. What i need to
know are

-What are the softwares/packages that I need to install to make the whole thing
work (every single component from JDK,compiler,swarm components, HDF5, gcc,
lib, etc)?

-The list of softwares/packages in order according from the start to finish
(one by one...........first install what?  second? third? etc)

-The exact name and latest versions of those softwares/packages preferably with
URL's to download,

-A brief explaination on the function of each software/package installed?

-Do i need to configure any of the configuration files to make everything work
together?

-There was SDK available on the Sun's site
(j2sdk-1_4_1_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin). There was one on your site
(j2sdk-1_4_1_01-fcs-linux-i586.rpm). Are both different , if yes what?

-Is R a good software for statistical proceesing and analysis?
Sorry for the inconvenience caused and I know u might be busy. I can be quite
annoying with all the precise questions asked, but I want to learn as much as
possible in a short time frame (ambitious). Hope to get as much help as
possible. Thanks again

Regards,
Kana