swarm on OSX

From: Marc-Antoine Parent
Subject: swarm on OSX
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:45:16 -0500

OK, as said previously, I could not build a compatible, functional libavcall. I wondered whether the one Alex had built would work, and to my amazement it did. I could now run swarm apps without running into avcall trouble.

My next issue was with the drop in DefObj.m, line 348: Following the comments, I had proposed a way to do a dispatchless drop, which did not work at all, as it relies on the next-style objective C runtime. I tried the DROP() macro (which basically amounts to [drop self] as now lies in the CVS: I had a fault due to double deallocations.
So we do need a dispatchless drop. I now have a correct form for this:

 static IMP dropper = 0;
 if (dropper == 0) {
         dropper = [Object_s instanceMethodFor:@selector(drop)];
 }

  dropper(self, M(drop));

This works fine, and I even got the market simulation to run!
Hooray!

Oh, a few last hurdles: The swarm executables looks for bltGraph.tcl in $BLTLIB/share Actually, that file has been renamed graph.tcl in more recent versions of BLT. I symlinked to get it to work, but this should be corrected in src/tkobjc/TkExtra.m

Also, I forgot to mention another linking issue i had:
there is
id nil_method(id receiver, SEL op, ...)
in both libobjc/nil_method.c and src/defobj/internal.m
I disabled (#ifdef 0) the former, as the linker complained about the duplication.

Cheers to all,
Marc-Antoine