Re: MacOSX Swarm avalable for the very brave

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: MacOSX Swarm avalable for the very brave
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:16:37 +1100

My objective for the MacOS X port is that you should eventually be able to
to use all the Cocoa Objective-C or Java stuff to wrap it, in the same way
as Java can be used on other platforms.  The display will remain X11 based
as it is for Matlab and other commercial products.  Apple seems to be
committed to integrating X11 wth Aqua.  It makes no sense for us to waste
time on that.

The current state of the port is only a half way stage.  We had to get the
basic Swarm code to run before we can graft on the other stuff.  Currently
the build process is tricky.  The next stage will be to simplify that to
enable Swarm apps to be written, built and debugged with Project builder
and friends.
Finally we build the bridges to Cocoa.  How we do this is still under
discussion.

Check out the MacOS X Port tasks on Savannah for the ongoing state of
play.  They were updated yesterday.

Bill Northcott