some objc compilers allow class variables?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: some objc compilers allow class variables?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:49:40 -0600

A user brought to my attention this claim in the objective-C faq

 http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-lang/Objective-C/faq/

15.1 What's the syntax for class variables ?

   List the class variables after the instance variables, and group them
   together in the same way as instance variables, as follows :

@implementation MyClass : Object { id ivar1; int ivar2; } : { id cvar1; }
@end

This seems like a good feature to me, but appears only available with the "Portable Object Compiler". Has anybody heard any discussion of whether gcc might support this style someday?