Re: [Swarm-Support] Time efficiency of at$createActionTo$message

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Time efficiency of at$createActionTo$message
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:48:50 -0700

Marshall, James A R wrote:

 sorry to be dense but what are the ObjectiveC style constructors in
Java... are those the interfaces/classes postfixed with S, C, SImpl, CImpl,
etc.?

Oh, I see wrote that e-mail too fast. I meant to use the word "Selectors". The object you pass to createActionTo$message. The `messaging' aspect of Objective C (by itself, but very much when combined with Java) is costly in Swarm. FAction calls don't have that overhead. In the example a Selector is used to setup the FAction call, but it is only used as a convenience. The Selector in the example uses Java reflection to identify the method -- once identified the method is fast to call, unlike when the Selector is used directly in createActionTo$message.