Re: [Swarm-Support] system calls question

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] system calls question
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:09:11 +1100

See the manuals for GNU portability tools Autoconf, Automake and Libtool
at
http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html

Also check out the source for Swarm from the cvs and you will see that
there are macros (in uppercase text) all over the place.  They are tokens
for things which need to be done differently on different systems.  Many
of these are set up when the configure script is run by defining them in
Makefiles.  The configure script itself is produced by autoconf.  You will
notice there is no configure script in the cvs sources.  Likewise the
Makefiles need Makefile.in files for configure to know how to create them.
 These are made from the Makefile.am files in the sources by automake.

Once set up, it works a treat or at least it does most of the time until
you get to something new like MacOS X.  All three packages included in the
current Apple developer tools.  Autoconf and automake seem to work pretty
well, but libtool has some issues, most of which look like being fixed in
the upcoming 1.5 release.

Bill Northcott