Re: [Swarm-Support] undefined references: problems compiling swarm

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] undefined references: problems compiling swarm
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 06:20:08 -0500

If you are using the gcc I build (the rpm) , then the patch is applied.

The patch is included in the SRPM package.

The rpm philosophy is that you keep a source package in pristine state and then add patches at build time.

The patch for gcc-3.3 is this one:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Marcus_gcc301_MethodFunction.patch

Your configure statement is wrong, because if you don't want to build with java, you need --without-jdkdir in there. Other instructions in faq still apply.

You need something like

mkdir build
cd build
../configure --prefix=/usr/local/swarm --with-defaultdir=/usr --without-jdkdir

if you build swarm with the patched gcc, the make line I use is

make EXTRACPPFLAGS=-DMETHOD_FUNCTIONS EXTRALDFLAGS=-static-libgcc JAVAC=/usr/bin/jikes

If you have tcl/tk 8.4, you will run into trouble because of the fact that their new thread work uses a variable named "id". 8.3 should be OK.

Until we get the problem straightened out caused by recent changes in Swarm to support MAC OS, I'd suggest you consider building the last good linux version of swarm that I'm completely sure about:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2x_RPMSforRH8.0/swarm-2.1.141.20021019.tar.gz

In the more recent packages, as I think I mentioned last week, we started to see some TCL/TK related wrinkles and now every time I run a swarm program, I get this big warning message that it can't find the "special" bitmap. THat did not come up until after I made the tarball 2.1.141.

pj

Jan Peters-Anders wrote:

Hello Paul,

I am just configuring with a plain:

./configure

The configure log shows no evidence that something is missing, that's why I did not get suspicious about the jdk:

configure:11965: checking for JDK
configure:12185: result: /usr/lib/j2sdk1.4.1_02/

Concerning gcc: Is the gcc 3.3 20020909 from your ftp site already patched? I thought the patch would only apply to gcc 2.95 which I had previously installed, patched and used to compile Swarm, but it didn't work out, so I tried the gcc 3.3 mentioned above. BTW: What is missing that make reports undefined references?
Thank you very much again

Jan Peters-Anders

Your configure line must not be telling where your jdk is.

Please tell exactly what your configure line is and I'm sure we can find
the problem.

It still works the way I describe it here:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#2.3

I don't recall if you have the patched compiler or not, but I assume you
settled on a plan for METHOD_FUNCTIONS.  if you have the patched
compiler, then the make line should add EXTRACPPFLAGS=-DMETHOD_FUNCTIONS