[Swarm-Support] I thought of one way you can help me

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] I thought of one way you can help me
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:15:15 -0500

Now I am entering the process of getting promoted from Associate Professor to Full Professor. In the US, that signals a step which occurs between 5 and 10 years after tenure (and an Associate Professorship) has been achieved. There's a small increase in salary and rank. My Department will solicit formal reviews of my research from scholars. Other material is being solicited from students and miscellaneous folk.

I hope that some of you will help me with this by writing my chairperson and telling him that I helped you in your research/studies. If you are willing to do this, please write an email to

Prof. Burdett A. Loomis
Chair, Dept. of Political Science
address@hidden

I will ask him to collect any responses for my promotion file.

Why do I need to ask like this?

Until about 5 years ago, I was not so interested in computer modeling as I am now, so my career trajectory shows a fairly abrupt shift in my curriculum vita:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/vita.htm

I am now in the somewhat uncomfortable position of justifying this change to the faculty of my Department and my University. They have trouble seeing the value in some of my work, such as the Swarm User Guide, SwarmFaq, RPMs for Swarm, or miscellaneous Swarm support. I'm contending that the support effort makes me part of an interdisciplinary, international research effort. My University places a high value on work that is interdisciplinary and/or international in nature, and I would like them to see the effort to advance agent-based simulation modeling in that light.

It would help me if some of you from around the world and the academic universe would notify my superior that I have helped you on a simulation project or on Swarm. You don't need to send a massive note, just something simple to say I helped your effort (via the User Guide, support email, RPMS, etc). That way, when my promotion file is collected and presented to the Department, there is some way to quantify a statement like "he helped X people in N countries"...

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504