Re: [Swarm-Support] Getting Started Mac OS X

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Getting Started Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 13:12:03 +1000

> I thought that I had installed everything, but when I try to say
> make heatbugs, I get
>
> make: command not found

You appear to have no Developer Tools installed.  You need to sign on
(free) to ADC on the Apple web site.  Then login and download and install
the following in this order:
December 2002 MacOS X Developer Tools
August 2003 gcc updater
Java 1.4.1 Developer Tools update

> I assumed this was in gcc-3.3, so I downloaded that again and
> reinstalled, but still the same result

After installing the Apple stuff, install the new gcc-3.3Apple compiler
from the Swarm site.  If you do it the other way around, Apple's installer
will overwrite our patched compiler.

Finally set up your environment as described in the README.MacOS X by
creating a file .tcshrc in your home directory.  Note this only applies to
shell windows in the Terminal app.  The environment for an xterm window
started under X11 is different.

Open a new terminal window and type:
printenv

The last few lines of what you see should look like:
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.2
SWARMHOME=/usr/local/swarm2.2p
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/tcl8.4.4/lib:/usr/local/tk8.4.4/lib:/usr/local/blt2.4z/lib:/usr/local/png_1.2.5/lib:/usr/local/hdf5_1.4.5p2/lib:/usr/local/swarm2.2p/lib
DISPLAY=:0.0

> Also, one of the how to sites said I needed X11.  How does that
> differ from Terminal in OS X?

You need X11.  Just get and install the Apple version as this will be
included in MacOSX 10.3.

With all this done, you should be able to build Swarm apps.

In order for a GUI app to run, you also need to start X11 before trying to
run the app.

Bill Northcott