Re: [Swarm-Support] (no subject)

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] (no subject)
Date: 14 Oct 2003 01:35:17 -0700

JW> Hello, this is my first contact with this list.
JW> I have just started exploring Swarm - looks like a very
JW> interesting tool for some of our ABM needs.  But I have still more
JW> questions than answers of the novice style:

Hi Joerg,

Hopefully you're still checking the list from time to time.

JW> The environment is a W2K / Jdk1.4.2 platform. I have managed to
JW> get most examples that I could find on line, perform under Swarm
JW> 2.1.1. using NetBeans or JBuilder ... without Cygwin.

2.1.1 contained Cygwin "under the hood", so you were using Cygwin
whether you knew it or not.

JW> Now I am trying to move to the 2.2 pretest version and none of the
JW> examples work anymore. So, before I go into the details of these
JW> problems I have some fundamental questions about using Swarm:
JW> - is it advisable to use an IDE such as NetBeans or JBuilder to
JW> develop Swarm applications?

You can use IDEs, various people have used different IDEs in the past,
including JBuilder, and I think NetBeans (check the mailing lists
archive by searching Google: "site:swarm.org jbuilder")

JW> - if so, does Cygwin "need" to be installed - what problems should
JW> I anticipate if I don't install it?

You definitely need Cygwin.  Right now the current binary snapshot for
Win32, requires the cygwin DLLs, it simply won't work without it.

JW> - Am I setting myself up for more tech. trouble once the
JW> application is ready for packaging for stand alone
JW> use/distribution?

Standalone could be tricky, at the very least you need to distribute
all the DLLs that are linked to the Swarm binary.  It probably could
be done, but I don't use Windows enough to know how much work it is to
reliably find all the dependencies, and other support files
(e.g. Tcl/Tk would probably be a pain).

Alex