Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm install and gcc

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm install and gcc
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:13:45 -0500

I have rpms available for RH9. If you have admin privileges, I suggest you take the easy route.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm

I built that with gcc-3.3, but it will install into your system and mostly work fine. If your programs define protocols, then you may get warnings.

If you want to build Swarm yourself, you need 3.3.1. Or an older gcc. Just not 3.2, which has many problems. People say you can get swarm to build if you make it ignore warnings.

Once I was in the Redhat rawhide dir and found gcc-3.3 that was compatible with the other RH binaries, but since then, when I go back, I find the gcc they have is not compatible with existing binutils. Even if you get past that, the c++ stdlib things for gcc 3.3 are not the same as the 3.2 ones, so lots of programs you may have installed will not work. So upgrading the gcc in the main system tree is a potential problem. You can build it in a user dir though, if you have enough time/hard disk space.

Steve Jackson wrote:
Hi all,
I'm installing swarm on a rh9.0 machine and have found that swarm may not like the version of gcc version 3.2.2-5 that I have. So does anybody know if swarm will compile with the latest release of gcc (3.3.1) ?