[Swarm-Support] swarm-2.1.150 and a swarmapps snapshot

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] swarm-2.1.150 and a swarmapps snapshot
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:25:58 -0500

Greetings, oh Swarmish hoarde:

I'm going out of town, but will put these in the Swarm ftp site when I return, unless a lot of trouble gets reported to my email while I'm gone.

There's some stuff here that might be useful.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2X_Fdr1/

April 13, 2004

Sorry I forgot I said I'd do this last week.

Made a Swarm snapshot: swarm:
swarm-2.1.150.20040413.tar.gz

I built rpms on a Fedora Core system with Sun j2sdk-1.4.2_04-fcs. Yes, you must have exactly that version from www.javasoft.com in order for swarm-java to work.

I tested that edition of Swarm against some apps, seems fine.

I also assembled a snapshot of the swarm apps that I believe work. I assembled these out of the apps directory of Swarm's cvs. There are the ones I included from there:

objc: heatbugs mousetrap tutorial

java: jheatbugs jmousetrap

In Swarm CVS there is "bank" and "graph", but I did not want to deal with the problem of graphlib, so I did not include those.

Don't know what happened to the "market" application or to HelloWorld. Both of those are interesting and it could be their omission from Swarm CVS is just an accidental thing. However, I was cautious that their omission may indicate that somebody is working on them in some other format.

I could not remember how to make the java SDG example compile and run, but I will add it in later if I can remember/ figure it out.

*Here's the big, important thing*. Last year, in May/June 2003, I got really energetic and tried to write down my best advice for model design for new users and so I added simpleOberserverBug3 and simpleBatchBug[1-3]. I stuck my name in the README files and then promptly forgot about that work. That's a shame, too, because I tried pretty hard! Then today I remembered/noticed that David H. Clements was making a number of very useful fixups in the tutorial. And it started to seem like a terrible shame to me that all that effort was hidden away in CVS, where many Swarm users might not get it.

So now they got it:

swarmapps-2.1.150.20040413.tar.gz

If somebody who needs to know about how to build batch models and collect output wants to look over these changes and suggest more changes, that will be fine.

If somebody who has other swarm programs they want inserted into the "swarmapps" that will be fine too. I'll add them in.

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086