Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing under Gentoo Linux

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing under Gentoo Linux
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:14:50 +1000

On 16/04/2004, at 2:15 AM, Carlos Castillo wrote:
Can you please explain what you mean by 'syntax errors in the configure
script'?  A configure script runs very many small test programs.  Some
of these test programs will give syntax errors.  That is normal.

I mean that when I run ./configure, it does this:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for working aclocal-1.4... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake-1.4... found
checking for working autoheader... found

Go no further. That version of automake is much too old. You need 1.6 at least. That would explain the configure script problems. You probably noticed that autogen.sh bombed out because it tests the autoconf/automake/libtool versions on your system.

It is usually better to investigate and fix an error message rather than patch it out. Like as not patching will bite you later in the process. Error messages have a purpose, and even warnings are worth considering.

If you think you have trouble with a configure script, please report it
here.  So we can fix the code that produced the script.  Do not try to
modify the scripts yourself.  They are too complex and you will just
waste your time.

I posted the generated and the modified configure script here:

http://www.gia.usb.ve/~carlos/swarm/

If that script was generated by automake 1.4.x it will NOT work. Please take it down.

This is a pain.  The name of the file was changed in BLT but not
documented. If someone can tell us the BLT version at which the change
was made, we can fix it in configure.  If we fix it unconditionally it
will break on older versions of BLT :-(

I don't know at what point the problem started, but I'm sure 2.4z
  (which is the only version linked at: http://blt.sourceforge.net/)
  has the problem. I think it might even be worth solving the problem
  temporarily for versions >=2.4z.

What we need is a condition we can test for in the configure script.
ie if BLT version > 2.3 then use bltGraph.tcl

Unfortunately the BLT maintainer does not keep ChangeLogs or such housekeeping which could reveal the required information easily. He also does not respond to email enquiries. It is his software package so how he runs it is up to him.

I will probably lose patience and kluge it soon, but we are averse to including code patches we know to be wrong!

Bill Northcott