Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing under Gentoo Linux

From: Carlos Castillo
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing under Gentoo Linux
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:15:09 -0400 (VET)

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. First I want to say that all I wrote in my
previous e-mail I meant in the most constructive way. I'm also going
to take you up on your offer and write some notes on the installation
process in Linux source-based distros such as Gentoo, Slackware and
LFS (based on my experience, what you've explained and the things I've
read in the mailing-list archives).

>Paul Johnson makes recent source code packages, which do not require
>autoconf and friends, available on his site:
>http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm
>You can also find there an excellent FAQ.  His latest source tarball:
>http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2X_Fdr1/swarm
>-2.1.150.20040413.tar.gz
>Is from the cvs just two days ago.

I read Paul's FAQ, and considered trying the snapshot you are pointing
to, however I did not try it because of the fact that it is in the
Fedora directory. I'll try it later on today.

>Can you please explain what you mean by 'syntax errors in the configure
>script'?  A configure script runs very many small test programs.  Some
>of these test programs will give syntax errors.  That is normal.

I mean that when I run ./configure, it does this:

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for working aclocal-1.4... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake-1.4... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
./configure: line 2863: syntax error near unexpected token
`no-dependencies,,'
./configure: line 2863: `_AM_IF_OPTION(no-dependencies,,
_AM_DEPENDENCIES(OBJC))'

>A number of header files and other sources are built by the configure
>script.  If you have modified the configure script that would explain
>why they do not build.  Some other sources such as those for Java and
>COM are built by LISP programs invoked by the makefiles when
>appropriately configured.
>Without those headers and auxiliary files, you cannot build working
>code.  So I will ignore most subsequent problems.

>If you think you have trouble with a configure script, please report it
>here.  So we can fix the code that produced the script.  Do not try to
>modify the scripts yourself.  They are too complex and you will just
>waste your time.

I posted the generated and the modified configure script here:

http://www.gia.usb.ve/~carlos/swarm/

>This is a pain.  The name of the file was changed in BLT but not
>documented.  If someone can tell us the BLT version at which the change
>was made, we can fix it in configure.  If we fix it unconditionally it
>will break on older versions of BLT :-(

I don't know at what point the problem started, but I'm sure 2.4z
  (which is the only version linked at: http://blt.sourceforge.net/)
  has the problem. I think it might even be worth solving the problem
  temporarily for versions >=2.4z.

Best regards,

Carlos Castillo