Re: [Swarm-Support] Run swarm app from a browser. Click inside a grid.

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Run swarm app from a browser. Click inside a grid.
Date: 13 May 2004 00:02:24 -0700

[...]

>> 2. Is there a way to have a swarm application run from a browser
>> (since I am using Java, I am thinking about an applet)?

PJ> Sorry, can't help with that much.  I'm not a programmer by trade
PJ> and when I hear them talking about these things, I don't really
PJ> understand until I make the investment to actually make these
PJ> things work.  I know for sure I've seen Swarm models run in web
PJ> browsers, and it has been done through several separate avenues.
PJ> The newer swarm snaps have some COM/DCOM stuff Marcus Daniels
PJ> worked on.  I know other people have written their own connectors
PJ> between Swarm and the browser.

You can't run a Java Swarm program as a straight Java applet, because
even though the model is written in Java, it needs the Swarm
libraries, which are not themselves all written in Java (Swarm uses
the JNI: Java Native Inferface to "glue" Java objects to Swarm
objects which are written in Objective C).

There is some prototype code in the Swarm CVS for running Swarm as
"applets" of a sort using a plugin for Mozilla, which Paul is probably
referring to, but it isn't deployed at this stage.

Alex