Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm and FC1

From: Alex Olivas
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm and FC1
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:23:08 -0600

Turns out I set SWARMHOME incorrectly. I set it to "/usr/local/swarm-2.1.150.20040413"
instead of "\usr"  Heatbugs works just fine now.
Thanks,
Alex.

Paul Johnson wrote:

I don't recall which particular apps I had in that particular package, but they are generally intended to compile correctly if you set the SWARMHOME environment variable correctly. You should not have to hack these include directives this way.

If you installed the Swarm RPM I provide, then  you'd open a terminal
, cd into the Heatbugs directory, and type

> export SWARMHOME=/usr

> make

and run, say Heatbugs:
> ./heatbugs

You did not mention how you installed Swarm, but with my RPMs, that's it.

You can edit the very top part of the makefile to make SWARMHOME=/usr

That's what I do, because I tire of re-setting the environment all the time.

pj

Alex Olivas wrote:

That worked just fine. Thanks!
The problem I'm having now is that none of the applications are compiling out of the box. I downloaded swarmapps-2.1.150.20040413.tar.gz from the same site as below, but it can't find any of the header files. I've been adding the relevant directories by hand to the include flag in Makefile.common in $(SWARMHOME)/etc but this
doesn't seem to be converging.  I would think the rpm and the swarmapp
source should work a little more seamlessly since the version numbers are identical. Perhaps I've done something wrong. One last thing, it also looks like I'm going
to have to change the following line in *each* application Makefile from

  include $(SWARMHOME)/etc/swarm/Makefile.appl

to...

  include $(SWARMHOME)/etc/Makefile.appl

Is this correct?
Thanks,
Alex.

Paul Johnson wrote:

How about using the RPMS  I provide!

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/Swarm-2.2X_Fdr1/

Alex Olivas wrote:

I'm trying to compile swarm with Fedora Core 1 and
having trouble with BLT.  I downloaded the source file
BLT2.4o.tar.gz, but it won't compile.  This is the error
message I get ...

bltGraph.c: In function `GraphEventProc':
bltGraph.c:320: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
bltGraph.c: In function `CreateGraph':
bltGraph.c:881: warning: passing arg 5 of `Tk_ConfigureWidget' from incompatible pointer type bltGraph.c:906: warning: passing arg 3 of `Tcl_CreateCommand' from incompatible pointer type
bltGraph.c: In function `ConfigureOp':
bltGraph.c:1025: warning: passing arg 5 of `Tk_ConfigureWidget' from incompatible pointer type
bltGraph.c: In function `GraphCmd':
bltGraph.c:1664: error: argument `argv' doesn't match prototype
bltGraph.c:245: error: prototype declaration
bltGraph.c: In function `BarchartCmd':
bltGraph.c:1691: error: argument `argv' doesn't match prototype
bltGraph.c:244: error: prototype declaration
bltGraph.c: In function `StripchartCmd':
bltGraph.c:1718: error: argument `argv' doesn't match prototype
bltGraph.c:243: error: prototype declaration
make[1]: *** [bltGraph.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/Downloads/blt2.4o/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

which seem like a gcc version mismatch.  I'm using
gcc version 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1).
Has anyone successfully compiled this with 3.3.2?  Would
the RH8 binaries work with FC1?

Thanks,
Alex.