Re: [Swarm-Support] JAS-1.1 vs Java-SWARM-2.2

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] JAS-1.1 vs Java-SWARM-2.2
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:04:38 -0500

?

Swarm-2.2 is an Objective C library and a Java Native Interface through which programs written in Java can access the Swarm Libraries. Swarm was the first of these so-called agent-based modeling frameworks and there are many applications that use it.

JAS is a native Java approach that combines the best of breed free Java components (such as Colt) with some other components that are Swarm-like in nature. Its web page says it is a Swarm Clone. JAS is a new-ish project being developed by researchers at the University of Torino, Italy, mainly the developer is Michele Sonnessa.

During the Swarmfest, we were discussing the question of Java and it seems to me that people are of two minds. I don't like Java much at all and prefer C style programming. Other people like Java a lot. Those people who prefer Java have many choices of libraries, not limited to JAS, but also Ascape, Repast, Mason, and who knows what else. If it is important for your Java model to match the behavior of a Swarm model written in Objective-C, then you have no real choice but to write your model with Swarm. However,if you are just a person who likes Java (a feature that still baffles me :) ), you might be happier using something else.

This is something of a religious question, as you might infer. I don't want to have a big fight about it, these are just my opinions.

pj

Venkatesh Pranesh Mysore wrote:
Hi,

I am a Computer Science doctoral candidate at the Courant Institute, New York. I am surveying large-scale multi-agent simulation tools. I am trying to contrast JAS-1.1 with Java-SWARM-2.2. Can somebody bring me up to speed on this issue ?
regards,
Venkat