[Swarm-Support] Re: JAS-1.1 vs Java-SWARM-2.2

From: Michele Sonnessa
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: JAS-1.1 vs Java-SWARM-2.2
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 21:39:05 +0200

Dear Venkat,
I try to give you a brief description of the differences:

- JavaSwarm is based on an ObjC kernel, which is accessed via a JNI interface,
while JAS (as well as RePast) is written in pure Java code. This means that
JAS
can be more easily installed on different platforms.

- JAS is at the same time a library for developing ABM simulations and an
application able to run and control simulation experiments (you can load/reload
simulation models dinamically). On the contrary Swarm is a pure library giving
the user some tools to easily create simulations.
- From the library standpoint, JAS contains -more than Swarm- a network-based
agent representation toolkit, a statistical I/O package which
can collect simulation data in an HSQLDB database, some soft computing packages
(ANN, GA) for mapping adaptive behaviours, ...
Both JAS and RePast inherited the Swarm protocol in developing agent based
models, which is mainly based on the strict separation between the model
and
the observer.

Sincerely,
Michele Sonnessa

Venkatesh Pranesh Mysore wrote:

Hi,

I am a Computer Science doctoral candidate at the Courant Institute, New York. I am surveying large-scale multi-agent simulation tools. I am trying to contrast JAS-1.1 with Java-SWARM-2.2. Can somebody bring me up to speed on this issue ?
regards,
Venkat

NYU Bioinformatics Group
http://www.bioinformatics.nyu.edu/~mpvenkat/