[Swarm-Support] Swarm build on MacOS Intel

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Swarm build on MacOS Intel
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:50:43 +1000

I have not yet attempted to build Swarm on an Intel Mac. I do have access to a couple of Intel machines but not easily.

There are a number of issues:
1. The current binaries are PPC only. By default the gcc on the Intel Mac will build x86 code which will not link with the ppc library. This is probably your problem. You may be able to get around this using the '-arch ppc' compiler flag, but see 2 below.

2. If you try to build yourself, you will need Tcl/Tk and BLT. The binary libraries on the swarm site are PPC and I doubt the X windows libraries on an Intel Mac are fat. So they will not be able to link at runtime. (Unless Rosetta does something incredibly clever).

3. If you try to build Tcl/Tk BLT yourself, there are some issues you will need to overcome. MacOS X 10.4.x Tiger comes with both Tcl and Tk frameworks. The Tcl is OK but the Tk is built against Carbon graphics not X-11. BLT2.4z must have X-11 Tk. Using Tk sources from Sourceforge, it is not too hard to build an X-11 Tk as a framework and add BLT into it. If you do all that, you should be able to build Swarm.

So far I have held off working on this because of two other promising approaches: a. The BLT developer has been working on version 3 which includes MacOS X code. The current code in the BLT sourceforge cvs won't build because the MacOS X build files are out of date. I spent a couple of hours on this last week but it is too broken to fix quickly. So I have been hanging off waiting for some progress. As explained above it is going to be non-trivial to do an Intel build with BLT2.4z and I did not want to waste time on it, if a much better solution is in the offing.

b. Some of the Swarm developers have been working on getting Swarm away from Tcl/Tk/BLT and onto a GNUstep interface. The GNUstep AppKit is mainly compatible with the OS X one so it should be easy and much better to get this to work native on MacOS X Cocoa.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging, but if you want to have a try at this, contact me off the list.

Bill Northcott