[Swarm-Support] Intel Mac OSX Tiger and Swarm 2.2 Follow-up

From: Brandon M. Gabler
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Intel Mac OSX Tiger and Swarm 2.2 Follow-up
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:13:58 -0700

Greetings once again (and hopefully last time for a while!) to all happy swarm
users considering switching to a new Intel Mac: DO IT!

Though you may have witnessed my working through trials and tribulations with
much help from Bill Northcott, I now have Swarm successfully working on Mac OSX
Tiger with an Intel Core Duo processor. After finally having time to 'make
clean' my cygwin .o files, and finding each specific nested function definition
which we now know gcc 4.0 (the standard on OSX), my ethnicity model
(www.u.arizona.edu/~bgabler) works perfectly. There were two instances of
nested function definitions, both originally in the SchellingII Swarm model
that I used as a base for the ethnicity model, that simply needed to be
converted (or, in one of the two, simply commented out because my version does
not use it).

The bonus: 2 instances of swarm running at the same time utilize the two
processors, therefore not slowing either down (given you have enough RAM - I
would not recommend less than 1 GB, and I have not yet bogged down the full 1GB
of RAM on my system, but don't worry, I'll be trying!).

And, if any of you use GRASS GIS, I have also had Swarm and GRASS calculating at
the same time, again without slowing either.

So, get a Mac, follow the fantastic instructions on the Swarm wiki, contact me
if you need help with the easy parts (that way poor Bill doesn't have to deal
with everyone), and if you're unfamiliar with Macs in general, I've probably
had the same problem you are within the last 3 weeks, I'll help you out.

Thanks again to Bill for his help and the rest of you for listening to my
shouts.

Brandon