RE: [Swarm-Support] Help: Cygwin Swarm 2.2 bash shell doesnot recognise

From: Bertaglia, Marco
Subject: RE: [Swarm-Support] Help: Cygwin Swarm 2.2 bash shell doesnot recognise "make" command
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:21:15 +0100

Hi,

Re to my last email I am coming back to this with some delay because I
tried a couple of things and I have cleaned and reinstalled everything.

INFO: I am running Cygwin(r) POSIX Emulation DLL version 1005.21.0.0
on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 on a Pentium 4 Intel machine

The name of the dll in my directory is cygwin1.dll

I also have a cygswarm-0.dll in the same directory.

I cannot run any command, I have a $PATH problem I cannot solve

I cannot run cygcheck either --- it tells me command not found

I have installed a special packaged CYGWIN from SWARM.

Yes I was talking avout the Cygwin packages that includes a Swarm
install package. I have installed this and it seemed to work better BUT
I haven't managed to run THE model I need to use because it was done for
Swarm 2.1.1 so I was tried to change a few settings to see if it worked
but I soon realised I needed some packages that were NOT included with
the SWARM INSTALL PACKAGE so I ran the originla CYGWIN PACKAGE to
install a couple of things I needed AND NOTHING WORKS. I actually am NOT
SURE that this is due to the fact that I have installed these packages
(I was *very* careful in selecting them) but rather to a PATH problem.

AND YES it does seem as you said (Cf. quoted message below) that for
some reasons my .bash_profile is not set.

I am connected to a network at work and as such under windows my user
HOME directory is on a network drive indicated as H: so my home
directory in cygwin is detected as

/cygdrive/h

I have installed cygwin and all packages in the default install
directory C:\cygwin under windows (and I had also set my $SWARMHOME
throught the Windows control panel):

C:\cygwin\usr

It worked but I had some annoying limitations.

Yesterday I have run the "normal" CYGWIN Setup and installed some
packages I needed.

SETUP was successful but something happened to my settings and I do not
find how to repair. I have read all FAQs ans documentation and I am
unable to find a solution.

If I type echo $PATH I have now what seems a slash problem

address@hidden/cygdrive/c/model0-7/model0-7ci] $ echo $PATH
C:\cygwin\usr/bin

NOW:

In my H: drive I have the following file, named as

.bash_login

---------BEGINNING OF THE FILE----------------

#!/bin/bash
export PS1='address@hidden $ '
if test -n "$SWARMHOME"; then
  PATH=$SWARMHOME/bin
else
  export SWARMHOME=/Swarm-2.1.1
  PATH=/bin
fi
if test "$SWARMHOME" = /Swarm-2.1.1; then
  if test -x $HOME/.bash_custom; then
    . $HOME/.bash_custom
  fi
fi
export PATH
export LESSCHARSET=latin1
export TMPDIR=/tmp

alias ls='ls --color=auto'

cd

-----------END OF THE FILE-----------------

but I only have three files in the H: drive

the one above plus teh following two
.bash_history
ls

I also have a file named

profile

in the directory
C:\cygwin\etc

It is attached, if you wish to see it.

It doesn't seem to contain bash commands.

I BELIEVE I AM CORRECT IF I UNDERSTAND THAT the file .bash_login is the
reason why my PATH is

C:\cygwin\usr/bin

and no command is found!

SEE THIS:

address@hidden $ cd /cygdrive/c/model0-7/model0-7ci
address@hidden/cygdrive/c/model0-7/model0-7ci] $ make
bash: make: command not found

THEN I CHECKED AND

I cannot go anywhere:

address@hidden/cygdrive/c] $ cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/bin/clear
bash: cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/bin/clear: No such file or directory
address@hidden/cygdrive/c] $ ls /
bash: ls: command not found
address@hidden/cygdrive/c] $ C:\\cygwin\\usr\\bin\\clear
bash: C:\cygwin\usr\bin\clear: command not found
address@hidden/cygdrive/c] $ C:\\cygwin\\usr\\bin\\ls
bash: C:\cygwin\usr\bin\ls: command not found
address@hidden/cygdrive/c] $ C:\\cygwin\\usr\\bin\\ls.exe
bash: C:\cygwin\usr\bin\ls.exe: command not found
address@hidden/cygdrive/c] $ C:\\cygwin\\bin\\ls.exe
bash: C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe: command not found
address@hidden/cygdrive/c] $ C:\\cygwin\\bin\\ls
bash: C:\cygwin\bin\ls: command not found

Any help really appreciated.

All the best,
Marco

Dr Marco Bertaglia
Research Associate, University of Kent
Honorary Research Associate, Imperial College London
Applied Economics & Business Management Research Group
Wye Campus
Room 37, Orwin House
Wye, Kent TN25 5AH

Tel: +44(0)20 7594 2602