Re: [Swarm-Support] COM usage example

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] COM usage example
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 13:05:28 -0600

Gennady Telegin wrote:
PS. Is there any other example for COM with Swarm?
There were some, I think they were left and probably lost in the SFI CVS tree. Or maybe they were left in my home directory in the former SDG offices. That one unfortunately looks kind of old as it does explicit QueryInterfaces to get to methods. The Swarm stubber supports interface flattening (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xpcom/nsIClassInfo.html) which handles QI for the user and makes scripting easier..

Basically, there weren't any well-integrated heatbugs type demos because, at the time, there was neither a Canvas (drawable bitmap) or SVG. (Now Firefox has both of those.)

But the machinery for wrapping the interfaces themselves did work, as did probing on JavaScript objects, as did callouts to COM from Swarm. I remember even having a Python model working. I think that demo was a bit dat

What's missing are replacement widgets that use native browser display capabilities. Currently what happens if a raster is instantiated is that the Tk libraries is invoked, and (kind of weirdly), Tk widgets pop up from the browser. Nothing wrong with that, really, just that it increases the footprint of the browser plugin.