Re: [Swarm-Support] Examples of Nested Swarms?

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Examples of Nested Swarms?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:36:41 -0700

Kavita Gangal wrote:
Hello,

I wanted to know whether there are any examples available of the Multiple or Nested swarms.

We (Steve Jackson did the coding) wrote a salmon model in which each life stage (adults migrating upstream, juveniles living in streams, juveniles migrating to the ocean, and adults in the ocean) is a different swarm, with different spaces and schedules etc. In fact, the juvenile model has multiple swarms for each stream that fish spawn in---the number of these swarms is determined from the input files. When a fish survives from one life stage to the next, it is removed from one swarm and added to another.

We've never published the model except in an informal report but I would be happy to send you the code & report. I have rashly claimed it to be the gnarliest Swarm code ever, but Tim Kohler and others might disagree.

Steve Railsback