Re: [Swarm-Support] Query regarding changing seed in a RNG

From: paul box
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Query regarding changing seed in a RNG
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 07:53:20 +0930

Most have already answered the question here.  I just wanted to chime
in with one more thing:  when setting different seeds in Swarm, it's
really designed to do that from the command line as you're running
your models.  The only time you should go to setting seeds inside the
code is if you have a really compelling reason to do it there; e.g.,
you have several random number generators, and you want one to have a
set stream of numbers from a specific seed while the rest of the
simulation uses the other, "more random" numbers.

Switching between seeds, and documenting those seeds, is so
fundamental to simulation experiments, that it makes little sense to
deal with them in a place that requires going back and recompiling
your code every time you want to change it.