Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing Swarm on CentOS 5.2 AMD64 box

From: Gary Polhill
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Installing Swarm on CentOS 5.2 AMD64 box
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 12:36:26 +0000

Thanks very much Marcus!

It now works. I didn't need to use CPU=i386. However, there was some fuss
trying to use the system's installed 32 bit version of XPM. For some reason,
libXpm.so was not in /usr/lib, but /usr/lib64 did have libXpm.so. /usr/lib
contained libXpm.so.4 and libXpm.so.4.11.0 only. So, I had to create a copy of
/usr/lib in my homespace and symbolically link libXpm.so to libXpm.so.4.11.0.
With the appropriate configure options, it finally worked.

To compile my model, I had to change an import of space/Object2dDisplay.h to
space.h--for some reason Object2dDisplay.h did not get installed in the version
of Swarm I checked out from CVS--I don't know if that is deliberate or not.

I didn't get a crash clicking "Start", by the way. This may be because I
compiled my own (32 bit) versions of BLT/Tcl/Tk.

Like you, I can compile the x86_64 version of Swarm for Objective-C (especially
with --non-gui) without problem, and it works fine for my Obj-C model. However,
I'm working on a project trying to deploy Swarm on the grid, so I was curious
to see the extra issues that arose in trying to build javaswarm. For grid
deployment, of course, one would normally expect everything to run in batch
mode. One thing I haven't tried is building a nongui version of
javaswarm--mostly because I thought this couldn't be done--but perhaps I am
wrong? If it were possible, this would cut down the dependencies, of course,
but maybe javaswarm apps wouldn't work out of the box...

Gary

>>> "Marcus G. Daniels" <address@hidden> 2008-11-02 02:38 >>>
Hi Gary,

I tried building Swarm on Fedora 10 x86_64 but targeting i386.   The
error you mention, I believe you can fix with setting

CC="gcc -m32" OBJC="gcc -m32"

That is, specify the OBJC variable for `configure' as well.   You may
also need to pass "CPU=i386" to the toplevel make in order to get avcall
built.

Doing these things, I get a complete build, but there seem to be other
problems like crashes upon `Start'.

Fwiw, I do use a straight x86_64 build of Swarm for Objective C without
trouble.    (It's the forwarding of messages for Java x86_64 that needs
work,  otherwise it should be ok to use.)

Marcus

Please note that the views expressed in this e-mail are those of the
sender and do not necessarily represent the views of the Macaulay
Institute. This email and any attachments are confidential and are
intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read,
copy, disclose or rely on any information contained in this e-mail, and
we would ask you to contact the sender immediately and delete the email
from your system. Thank you.
Macaulay Institute and Associated Companies, Macaulay Drive,
Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen, AB15 8QH.