Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm Status

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Swarm Status
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:10:05 -0500

On 07/11/2010 10:04 AM, Rob Britton wrote:
Hey Paul,

I'm a slow responder apparently...

I've installed Swarm using your debs, thanks a lot!

I found a "bug". The debs install the Makefile for building Swarm apps
in /etc/swarm, however I grabbed some apps here:
http://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/apps/objc/sdg/swarmapps-objc-2.2-3.tar.gz
These expect the Makefile to be at /usr/etc/swarm/
I have a feeling this is a bug on the apps side and not the debs side,
since /usr/etc/ not a folder that is normally used.

-Rob

Not a "bug", in the sense of a flaw or mistake in swarm.

It is common for users to have to customize the app's makefile in order to find
the swarm stuff.

Change the Makefile to point at the place where the code actually is.

address@hidden:heatbugs$ cat Makefile
ifeq ($(SWARMHOME),)
SWARMHOME=/
endif
APPLICATION=heatbugs
address@hidden
APPVERSION=2.1.1
OBJECTS=Heatbug.o HeatSpace.o main.o HeatbugModelSwarm.o \
        HeatbugObserverSwarm.o HeatbugBatchSwarm.o
DATAFILES = ant.png heatbugs.scm

include $(SWARMHOME)/etc/swarm/Makefile.appl

main.o: main.m Heatbug.h HeatSpace.h HeatbugObserverSwarm.h HeatbugBatchSwarm.h
Heatbug.o: Heatbug.m Heatbug.h
HeatSpace.o: HeatSpace.m HeatSpace.h
HeatbugObserverSwarm.o: HeatbugObserverSwarm.m HeatbugObserverSwarm.h
HeatbugModelSwarm.h
HeatbugModelSwarm.o: HeatbugModelSwarm.m HeatbugModelSwarm.h
HeatbugBatchSwarm.o: HeatbugBatchSwarm.m HeatbugBatchSwarm.h HeatbugModelSwarm.h

This is necessitated because of Debianization of the Swarm install.

I wish we did not try to comply with the overly-intrusive Debian packaging standards, yes. It makes the term SWARMHOME useless/meaningless, and I wish we handn't gone down that road.

Please note swarm programs won't run unless you also install the blt packages I
provide.

pj

Professor, Political Science          http://pj.freefaculty.org
Assoc. Director, Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504