[Swarm-Support] FYI: Objective-C Foundation Classes: on Google Code

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Swarm-Support] FYI: Objective-C Foundation Classes: on Google Code
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 13:46:47 -0600

Hello, everybody!

While browsing freshmeat, I noticed a project called "Objective-C Foundation
Classes."(not GNUstep). It contains general
purpose classes for easier development of applications, in areas such as data
types, collections, network, C library
wrappers, and compound classes. Have you heard of this? What do you think?

I've been browsing the code, there are a few things in there that I might use,
such as AVL tree,  hash, maybe some
random numbers.

http://code.google.com/p/ofc/

One of the things that caught my attention was a class for Fractions.  I've
been running into more-and-more concern
about floating point accuracy and that "Ghost in the Machine" problem that Gary
Polhill published about in simulations.
 In the code for the game theory solver "Gambit", there is a lot of fussing
about to make sure fractions are perfectly
accurate, and the Fraction class in this Obj-C Foundation library might help.

Or maybe not, I have no idea :)  Without spending a lot of type compiling
programs against these libraries, I will have
no way of knowing if they doing what they say.

But I figured some of you may have heard about it.

I compiled the tex reference cards, maybe that will help you see what this
claims to have.  They are pdf files, too big
for email, but I uploaded them

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Swarm

Look for files called

ofc-refcard1.pdf   : Fractions, Random Generators, many distributions
ofc-refcard2.pdf   : about Collections and Iterators
ofc-refcard3.pdf   : Wrappers (graphics)
ofc-refcard4.pdf   : Network
ofc-refcard5.pdf   : Compound Classes

Professor, Political Science          http://pj.freefaculty.org
Assoc. Director, Center for Research Methods and Data Analysis
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504