Re: [Swarm-Support] Building swarm with gcc 4.7

From: Jason L Tibbitts III
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Building swarm with gcc 4.7
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:07:11 -0500

PJ> You don't mention if you are able to get the thing to build from the
PJ> SRPM as I provided it.

Honestly I didn't try.  I unpacked it, looked at the spec and set about
cleaning things up to move closer to Fedora's packaging guidelines so
that it would be closer to something that I could deploy.  Not to
mention it excludes all of the Java bits, which were requested by my
user.  And in any case, wouldn't it be better for everyone if users of
Fedora (and perhaps any derivative like RHEL or Scientific Linux, if
someone wanted to build for EPEL) could just type "yum install swarm" to
get the software?

I was able to get a pretty simple package to build with no Java, native
libffi and bundled libobjc without too much work.  That may be what I
have to go with, but I'd like to do better.

PJ> If it does build, I'd say you should use it the way it is and be
PJ> happy enough with that.

Seems a bit dismissive, but to be honest I'd rather invest at least some
effort into getting a clean, manageable package.

PJ> If it does not build, well, then you might want to dig into that big
PJ> hassle of removing some libraries, but please understand this.  We
PJ> are carrying along the old libobjc and avcall for a good reasons--we
PJ> had usages that were dependent on them.

Well, believe me I can see that side of the issue, but from a
distribution standpoint that just doesn't work.  Most distributions have
reasonable and generally strict rules about bundling of external
libraries for really good reasons.  Fedora certainly is quite strict.
(I should know; I'm on the committee that reviews bundling requests).

PJ> If we had "trust" in the general purpose versions of those
PJ> libraries, we would not have them packaged with Swarm itself.

I don't really want to go through the whole argument in yet another
venue, but basically: that's why you file bugs.  Upstream projects can
move forward.  We're all supposed to be working together.

 - J<