Re: [Swarm-Support] Pls bring me up to speed on gcc-4.7 and Swarm. Anybo

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] Pls bring me up to speed on gcc-4.7 and Swarm. Anybody?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:43:38 -0500

On 05/30/2012 04:12 PM, Scott Christley wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Swarm will not work with gcc-4.7.0.  More specifically, gcc-4.7.0 has the new
> GNU Objective-C runtime library which has been extensively changed to be
> compatible with Objective-C v2.0 from Apple.

Bummer.

Is there anything to be done?

Does your work on the Mac version of Swarm take you up to a point where you
could write a "porting guide" that the rest
of us could use to bring the rest of Swarm source into a workable state?  The
details of forwarding and fcall are so far
over my head it would take you longer to explain the theory to me than, well,
it will take the rest of the polar ice
caps to melt.  But, I am pretty good at time-consuming editing that translates
code from one style to another. I'm
willing to delete Java Swarm altogether if necessary, all of my interesting
stuff is in Objective-C anyway.

I guess I can just install gcc-4.6.3 in a separate folder and run with that.
As long as it can be compiled, anyway.

--
Paul E. Johnson                 email: address@hidden
http://pj.freefaculty.org       Assoc. Director