Re[3]: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - multiple pages, one frame?

From: Matt Southall
Subject: Re[3]: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - multiple pages, one frame?
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:54:06 +0000

>>> I'm interested in using pdf2swf to create a single frame flash file
>>> with multiple pages in it arranged vertically or horizontally like

For anyone who might be interested, I eventually did this as follows:-
1. pdf2swf (parsing the output to get the number of pages and
dimensions of each page)
2. swfextract each frame to individual swf files.
3. automatically generate a script to recombine them into a single
swf, placing each one below the last using ".swf <name> <file>

I realise it's possible to use pdf2swf and the -p option to extract
individual pages, rather than use swfextract later, but as far as I
can see, that relies on knowing how many pages are going to be in the
PDF before you start. Also, thought I've not measured, it seemed a
little quicker to do the pdf2swf in one go and then extract individual
frames.

Something interesting I came across is that when displaying the
resulting swf in a browser, you can only display it so big.. after a
point, it stops rendering. e.g. if you give the object a height of
10,000 and try to scroll up and down, the bottom few pages will not
show up. The point at which it stops drawing always seems to be at a
page/movieclip boundary too... i.e. it never cuts off halfway through
rendering a particular movieclip/page. If you make the object a little
smaller again, everything is fine.

Of course this is an issue with the player/IE and not SWFTools.. so I
hope it's not too OT.  It's definitely worth knowing if you're
planning on making very tall swfs with the intention of scrolling up
and down them.

Matt