Re: [Swftools-common] Can Font2SWF be used for making sIFR fonts?

From: 3rett 3onfield
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Can Font2SWF be used for making sIFR fonts?
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:21:52 -0400

For the sake of comparison, the SWF file used in the official sIFR
example page can be found here

http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/files/sifr/2.0/tradegothic.swf

Hm. For one, that file uses EDITTEXT tags, while font2swf just generates DEFINETEXT2 tags. I think it should be possible to mimic
such files with swfc, though. Load a font of your choice with .font,
create the text with .edittext and .put it into the scene (see
edittext section in the swfc tutorial).

There's also a huge block of ActionScript code in the file, though.
Not sure what it does, but if that's something you need as well: I
believe Ming has a tool for decompiling actionscript- run it over the
file, and then insert the generated source into an .action block in
your .sc script.

Thanks for your reply. I know everyone thinks his question will become a FAQ, but it wouldn't surprise me if this question actually does; sIFR is getting a *lot* of press (for example, check out http://www.fortymedia.com/2005-web-design-forecast2.fhtml) and, so far at least, no one has documented a free way to make sIFR fonts.

I'm not sure if this is as good a way of decompiling actionscript as the Ming method, but I ran flasm on the tradegothic font SWF I linked to in my previous post. It produced a file I've posted here:

http://thetrolleyvox.com/test/tradegothic.flm

I renamed it to andalemo.sc (my goal is to create a template .sc conversion file, starting with Andale Mono, which is available for free as andale32.exe at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34153&release_id=105355). Then I began editing the file, but ran into difficulty. What I have so far is here:

http://thetrolleyvox.com/test/andalemo.sc

The error I get when I run

C:\swftools\swfc andalemo.sc

is

Syntax error in line 4, 15

Clearly I haven't formatted the constants properly, but I'm not sure how to define them or where to look for all the constants named in the original SWF font definition.

Also, I'm wondering if I've defined the actionscript properly. The way actionscript is used in tradegothic.swf is different from how I've seen it documented on the swftools site. I feel like I have RTFM, but I'm definitely failing to make the connections I need to make.

Again, I really appreciate your answer and hope you'll be okay with providing a bit more hand-holding.

Thanks,

Brett