Re: [Swftools-common] what's the best svg to swf method?

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] what's the best svg to swf method?
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 21:00:57 +0200

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 06:41:15PM +0200, Michael Hansen wrote:
> This reminds me. Matthias is there a reason for the 'odd' implementation af
> shades i pdf2swf?
>
> A simple shade box wih a size of approx. 1kb (pdf) is 'pumped-up' to about
> 15kb!
>
> Swf6 supports gradient fills, but an investigation of the bytecode reveals
> that the resulting swf is construct of a large amount (approx. 500) of solid
> rectangles ontop of each other and in different shades.
>
> I don't know if it's the 1.3 pdf forma, xpdf or swf2pdf that is the reason
> for this.

At the moment, xpdf is approximating gradients by a a large number of
plain-color shapes before drawing them. As pdf2swf uses xpdf for
parsing, it never "sees" the gradients, only plain-color polygons.

Derek tells me that the next xpdf version will have support for passing
gradients through directly to the output layer, so once the new xpdf
is released, and integrated into pdf2swf, this problem will go away.

Greetings

Matthias