[Swftools-common] shared font library

From: Stephen Moran
Subject: [Swftools-common] shared font library
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 04:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

I was wondering if anyone has worked on the possibility of adding the option for pdf2swf to put all the pdf fonts into a shared library(swf) that is then loaded into the main swf at runtime. My thought is then when you used swfextract to export frames from your main swf, they would also load that shared font library. That way it would reduce the filesize overhead of having the same fonts/glyphs embedded multiple times.

The reason I am interested in this is that I prefer to export each frame as a separate swf. It just gives you so many more options to play with when building viewers. The other time it comes in handy is when you get the error about the ID table overflow -- objects exceeds 65535... I've encountered this many times in larger PDF documents.

My solution is to simply split the document into multiple pieces to get around that issue. So hence, I would love to see the ability to use shared font libraries make its way into the trunk.

Has anyone tackled this? Anyone have a better idea about how to split the SWF into one page per file? I don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone has already solved this problem.

-Stephen

between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99