Re: [Swftools-common] Use of obsolete NAMECHARACTER

From: Paul K. Young
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Use of obsolete NAMECHARACTER
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 11:13:36 -0800

The code for where swftools writes this out is in src/swfc.c.  It occurs in one function, s_addcharacter (included below), which gets called for a variety of types - boxes, images, audio files, etc.  Its use in export seems to be at odds with the above documentation which indicates that it is obsoleted by PlaceObject2, the purpose of which is to place characters on the stage.

Since swfc is actually outputting this flag, not just recognizing it in existing SWFs, I had hoped someone on this list (perhaps the author?) could offer insight as to its purpose in swfc output.

from swfc.c:

static void s_addcharacter(const char*name, U16 id, TAG*ctag, SRECT r)
{
    if(dict_lookup(&characters, name))
        syntaxerror("character %s defined twice", name);
    character_t* c = character_new();

    c->definingTag = ctag;
    c->id = id;
    c->size = r;
    dict_put(&characters, name, c);

    if(do_exports) {
        tag = swf_InsertTag(tag, ST_NAMECHARACTER);
        swf_SetU16(tag, id);
        swf_SetString(tag, name);
        tag = swf_InsertTag(tag, ST_EXPORTASSETS);
        swf_SetU16(tag, 1);
        swf_SetU16(tag, id);
        swf_SetString(tag, name);
    }