[Swftools-common] Compiling SWFTools by using an alternative compiler

From: Pablo Beltran
Subject: [Swftools-common] Compiling SWFTools by using an alternative compiler
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:29:56 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to compile SWFTools on Linux by using an alternative compiler to gcc and I got the following message:

checking build system type... x86_64-pc-none
checking host system type... mips-unknown-elf
checking for mips-unknown-elf-gcc... mips-unknown-elf-gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes
checking whether mips-unknown-elf-gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for mips-unknown-elf-gcc option to accept ISO C89... unsupported
checking whether mips-unknown-elf-g++ accepts -g... yes
checking whether gcc supports lazy variable declaration... no
* Your gcc is too old to compile this!
* The last version compileable by this compiler is
* swftools 0.7.0, which you can download from
* http://www.swftools.org/swftools-0.7.0.tar.gz
* .
* Newer versions require at least gcc 3.0.0

I've read in this post that any alternative to gcc results in the error above (for clang on Mac OS X Lion):

"Of course the error message is wrong; swftools is just under the mistaken impression that every compiler one might use to compile it is gcc. In this case, we're using clang; clang's version number happens to be lower than gcc's, though it is just as (or more) capable than gcc."

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/32732

How that validation can be bypassed?

Many thanks,
Pablo.