[Synaptic-devel] bugs in r75

From: Mike Snitzer
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] bugs in r75
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:49:21 -0700

Hi,

In testing the r75 of subversion I've noticed a show-stopper bug.

I start Synaptic running in the background.  When I select a package for
upgrade, and then click proceed, Synaptic downloads the relevant package
but then hangs because the Synaptic process as been 'Stopped'.  If I going
to the controlling terminal and hit enter I get:
[1]+  Stopped                 synaptic

Then, if I type 'fg' synaptic starts up again but then the 2 progress bars
saying rpm -Uv (I beleive) just bounce back and forth infinitely.  When I
close that RPM progress popup window I get:
"sub-process /bin/rpm exited unexpectedly"

Then synaptic rebuilds the dep tree at all.  And is back to "normal".  It
then shows the package that was to be upgrade as being in it's same old
state.

A hack that I used is to go into Settings->Preferences and check the box
for "Use terminal window when running the package manager"; I click apply
and then go through the upgrade process; and all works.. only odd thing is
rpm doesn't run in a terminal; it runs in the the standard Gnome2 progress
bar.  SO the package upgrades; but if you go back in to preferences the
"Use terminal window..." check box is NOT checked.. pretty strange.

So in the end rpm support is pretty busted right now.

I'd like to contribute with code; but I'm bogged down with other
responsibilities. FYI, I am using apt-0.5.5cnc4.

Let me know if you need more details. Thanks.

--
Mike Snitzer                           address@hidden
Linux Networx                          http://www.lnxi.com