Re: [Synaptic-devel] about adding package sources, searching, etc

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] about adding package sources, searching, etc
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:06:48 +0100

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 07:26:40PM +0200, Mantas Kriau?i?nas wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

> Michael Vogt <address@hidden> (from debian bug #183717):
> >Please have a look to the latest synaptic version 0.32. It has a
> >build-in source-list editor and some more ui-enhancements. It's part
> >of debian/unstable (but it shouldn't be hard to build it yourself).
>
> My previous letter was about 0.32 version from unstable. I have 2 computers -
> workstation with debian woody/sarge and laptop with debian unstable. Btw -
> sources.list editor is identifical in 0.25 and 0.32 versions. As I said
> before - sources.list editor is targeted to advanced users and wizard would
> be very useful for newbies. I think button "Add new package source" and/or
> item in "Actions" menu should be added to main synaptic window.

I'm sorry. The bugreport was about 0.25, so I thought you weren't
using the latest version (and I didn't quite remembered when we added
the repository dialog :).

The thing about this dialog is, that it must be kind of generic, as we
have quite a few apt-rpm users. OTOH, I also see the need to have a
more debian friendly dialog. I may add a wizard in the future that
helps the debian people (your welcome to add such a wizard as well,
it's not a hard task and I'll help you in any way :)

> >The search for pkgname/description thing is fixed in 0.32 as well. Please
> >have a look at this version and let me know in what areas it is still
> >behind.
> All problems, mentioned in my bugreport exist in 0.32 :(
> For example I can find sinek video player with apt-cache search video player
> but can't with synaptic :(

Your right, this is a bug in the search code. This will be fixed in
the next version. Thanks for spotting it.

> I still think, that there are too much incomplete apt frontends... Both
> synaptic and gnome-apt are based on gtk and are written in C++. Maybe
> synaptic and gnome-apt developers can colaborate and improve one program ?
>
> I can write email to Filip Van Raemdonck (gnome-apt maintainer) about
> colaboration if you don't have free time.

Well, Filip and I are in (loose) contact about our software. I'm not
opposed to having only one program, but I think it will need a lot of
planing. The UI is different and we would need a agree on a (probably)
new gui, the features are different, the internal structure is pretty
different. We have to choose what part to take from what software and
it will have to work on both debian and apt-rpm based systems. This is
a huge task.

If you have some free time and you want to help synaptic, please test
the latest development version available via subversion at:
https://oops.kerneljanitors.org/repos/synaptic

There are some exciting new features :)
(and probably some new bugs to find ;)

thanks for your feedback,