[Synaptic-devel] Re: Typo

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Typo
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:48:19 +0100

Am Di, den 25.11.2003 schrieb Jean-Michel POURE um 14:39:
> Dear Sebastian,
>
> "Custom default font" should be "Application default font".

I changed this to "Custom application font", since this settings allows
to choose a custom font, only.

> "Scanning CD-ROM" should be "Scanning CD-ROM..."

Changed.

> "Starting help system" should be "Starting help system..."

Changed.

> "This can render your package manger unusable" should be

Changed.

> WARNING: %d essential %s will be removed\n
>
> should be :
>
> <b>Warning:</b> %d essential %s will be removed\n

I want to fix typos and errors only, since we are in freeze, some how :)

> by the way, what is %s?
>
> %s cannot be replace by a noun like "packages" or "dependencies".

%s is a placeholder for a variable in the string. "%s" is set at
runtime. %s is "package" or "packages". So the same sentence can be used
with one or more essential packages.

I had French in school, but cannot remember anymore: So if in French the
passive construct differs in singular and plural you should include it
in "package" or "packages". I had to this in the German translation,
too.

Perhaps we should change this in the next release and use a whole
sentence for one and more packages each.

Sebastian