[Synaptic-devel] Re: Error messages

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Error messages
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:09:26 +0100

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:33:30PM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear all,
Hi,

> This may ease the work of translators and avoid questions on the list:
>
> "Internal Error, non-zero counts"
> -> "Internal Error: non-zero counts. Please report."
fixed.

> empty filter name!? should _never_ happen, please report
> ->"Internal Error: empty filter name. Please report."
>
> filter name is longer than 55 chars!? Will be truncated.Please report
> ->"Internal Error: filter name is longer than 55 chars. Will be truncated.
> Please report."

fixed (removed from the translation as it goes to cerr and is more a
debuging aid).

> Internal Error, AllUpgrade broke stuff
> ->"Internal Error: AllUpgrade broke stuff. Please report."

fixed

> can't fork children, so I die
> ->"Internal Error: impossible to fork children. Synaptics is going to stop.
> Please report."

fixed

> Couldn't fork bzip2
> ->"Internal Error: couldn't fork bzip2. Please report."

fixed

> Couldn't fork gzip
> ->"Internal Error: couldn't fork gzip. Please report."

fixed

> gtk_tree_model_get returned no text
> ->"Internal Error: gtk_tree_model_get returned no text. Please report."
>
> clickedRecInstall called with invalid parm:
> ->"Internal Error. clickedRecInstall called with invalid parm: "

removed from the translation as it's a debug aid and should never
happen and is displayed to cerr.

The policy was to remove translations for everything that does to
cerr. Every error/warning that is displayed directly to the user via a
dialog needs to be translated of course.

BTW, I fixed the half strings you reported in the other mail. I hope
the new strings are better translatable.

bye,
 Michael