[Synaptic-devel] Re: Other Gettext issues in the General tab

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Other Gettext issues in the General tab
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:20:09 +0100

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:51:36PM +0100, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear friends,
Dear Jean-Michel,

> Synaptics displays "Size: 3145k". It seems that the po only has the string
> "Size:".
>
> As a result, Synatics may be incompatible with RTL languages like Arabic.
> Even
> in Asian languages, this may be a problem as ":" is rarely used. If you stick
> something after ":", this may be a problem.
>
> Now, in French:
> "Size: 3145k" should be coded as:
> "Size: %d k" Which is tranlated into French by
> "Size: 4135 Ko" (notice 'k' becomes Ko).
>
> Apparently, only the entries in the General tab are impacted:

This is a problem. We use two different labels for the "Size: " and
the the size itself. We do this, because this way we can make sure
that the layout of the labels in aligned.

Do you know how e.g. nautilus deals with this problem? The common tab
is modeled after the properties window in nautilus (click on file with
the right mouse button in nautilus and then select "properties" to see
a example).

For the Size extension (like kb, Mb). Would it be go to build a table
like this:

for the various sizes?

thanks,
 Michael