Re: [Synaptic-devel] FR: changelog

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] FR: changelog
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:35:47 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Sviataslau Svirydau wrote:

> Hello,

> with suggestion to make changelog available.
> It's not so hard to make it for installed package versions, but more
> interesting to have it for new version or for not yet installed package
> to decide if upgrade/installation of package really needed or not.
> It's not good idea to include changelog in apt indexes because of size.
> But at least for rpm there was workaround suggested: on request download
> rpm package header and fetch changelog from there (it should be
> perforned on apt-level, I think). And I can't say anything about debian
> packages, somebody can?
>
> Any ideas?

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time.. and yes it
would be nice. I agree it should happen on apt level (actually I'd like to
expose some other things as well, like file listing of a package - IIRC
synaptic has a debian-specific thing to do this but should be generic
through libapt-pkg).

        - Panu -