Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] obsolete and locally installed, seems mistaken
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:25:48 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Richard Bos wrote:

> Op dinsdag 13 januari 2004 09:57, schreef Michael Vogt:
> > Right now, everything that has no candiate version or a canidate
> > version that is not downloadable is viewed as "obsolete" or "localy
> > installed". I agree that the term is misleading. This can be changed
> > easily. What about:

They used to be referred to as "orphan packages" IIRC, and the term is
used in up2date as well to refer to packages which aren't available from
any of currently configured channels (RHN/yum/apt). Not sure if it's any
clearer to the user though :)

> Hmm, I have comments on all of them.
>
> >  "Not available"
> I have it available (some where on my HD).
>
> >  "Not available in repository",
> You don't know.  I can be available in the repository, but the user might not
> have selected the component that provides the pkg...
>
> >  "Not downloadable"
> See above.
>
> >  "External packages"
> External to my system?
>
> >  "Non-apt packages".
> Non apt.  They might be delivered by a component that the user did not select.
>
> > Just some ideas how we could name it ...
>
> I just dig(?) my own hole I think, now I should come with some better?
> Let's try.  I think that the package is not registered or administrated in
> the
> (local/system) apt database.  So the closed to this is your proposal about
> Non-apt package, but with something added to add.
>
> "Not apt administrated packages"
> "Not apt tracked packages"

"What the heck is apt?" If you have an end user using synaptic to install
packages [s]he might never have even heard of apt and will be just
confused. I'd suggest against these variants.

> or indeed the term that is already used, being "local packages".

How about "manually installed packages"?

        - Panu -