[Synaptic-devel] Trouble with dependencies?

From: Andreas Schmidt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Trouble with dependencies?
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:05:02 +0100

Hi,

I just noticed something which may be a bug in synaptic. Somehow, dependencies seem not to be resolved correctly. I just noticed that with the cron-package.

Synaptic shows there's an update from 3.0pl1-77 to 3.0pl1-82 available. Among the dependencies for this package is this:

Recommends: exim | postfix | mail-transport-agent

"exim | postfix | mail-transport-agent" are also shown by synaptic in the Dependencies/Suggestions and Recommendations view.

I have postfix installed on my box. When I mark the package for update, synaptic wants do remove postfix and install exim instead. Unchecking the "Consider recommended packages as dependencies" box in the preferences dialogue takes care of that; nevertheless, synaptic should be able to recognize one of the alternatives already is installed.

(Some time ago, there was a similar problem with tiger. That package recommends sendmail or mail-transport-agent, but did not recognize postfix either, although that provides mail-transport-agent.)

Best regards,

Andreas